Friday, June 25, 2010

My first fashion magazine(s).

course, I have been intrested in fashion for a long time, but I have never owned a fashion magazine before, or even opened one (although it is my career path) so yesterday, at the mall, I got my first. I didnt really bluntly tell my parents "Mom, Dad can I get a fashion magazine?", for me that would make a little uncomfortable situation. So, while at the local Mall yesterday; money in pocket, I slowly snuck off to Barnes And Nobel, running up the escalader in desperate search of the magazine section.

And there it was. Massive shelves of glossy, unbent, perfect magazines of every kind. People lazily read in stuffy leather chairs, flipping magazine pages calmy and keeping the quietness of the bookstore. I scanned the shelves, and then I saw them.

First it was Harpers Bazaar, with Katherine Heigl on the cover. I quickly flipped through the pages and saw pages of runway pictures, prices, small articles. It was great. I stuck it under my arm, and moved on.

And then...I saw it. The Bible...well The Fashion Bible. I had spent many days off of school watching The September Issue online, over and over, and there it sat in a sea of magazines. It was like looking at an ancient shelf of tattered old books and then coming across The Bible in solid gold. Quickly, I picked it up. I didnt need to run through the pages, instantly I joined it with Harpers Bazaar and hurried for the front checkout desk.

The clerk ran it over the scanner. "Uhm, I dont need a bag." I told her, "I'll just stick it in this." I jesterd towards a shopping bag I already had. She gave me the magazines, and I stuck it in the bag, digging it to the very bottom under the clothes, perfectly out of sight from my parents.

When I had gotten home, I closed my door and ran through Harpers Bazaar; which is like the first course of a meal. Flipping through the pages, it quenched my brains thirst. I enjoyed it, looked through the well-done editorials, and read the nice Editor's Letter from the brilliant Glenda Bailey. It was genius, and full to the brim with information and articles, enough to keep you intrested from cover to cover. 


And then I grabbed Vogue, the main course. The one that fills your now content brain to complete bloating. I couldnt believe it sat before me. Of course, freaking out about a simple magazine makes me look like a huge maniac, but I had wanted to own this magazine for so long, I was excited finally I did. I mean, Vogue. The September Issue film I liked so much. Woo! Marion Cotillard was on the cover, she was strikingly gorgeous. Flawless skin, piecing blue eyes, and tossled brown hair that completed her look of an elegant french woman. Of course, it was shot by Mario Testino, who seems to be photographing nearly every editorial or campaign these days.

Vogue even had a certain smell about it, not that I sniffed the pages or anything. (Maybe it was just that scented Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue perfume ad hmmmm...) Anyways, I read all the articles, Anna Wintour's Editor Letter, and then I had come upon an editoral, the main excitment of any first-time Vogue reader. It was titled, "Magnificent Obsession: The fall collections most vivid moments had all the autumal brilliance of a 1950's domestic drama." Photographed by Peter Lindbergh; Fashion Editor: Grace Coddington (Woo!) and staring Ewan McGregor and Natalia Vodianova.  And I turned many glossy pages, looking at artistic, pristine pictures of 50's-esque man and wife with two young twin daugthers.

Needless to say, Harpers Bazaar and Vogue were amazing magazines. I am happy to not be a fashion magazine virgin anymore, because they are such prominent figures in the buisness. Now I cannot wait until the August 2010 issues hits stands, and then the famous September issue!

Cheers, Sam.

1 comment:

  1. Oh god I also love and crave for those September giant thick weighty fashion glossy bibles with their unique publication aroma, as they lay in my lap I turn each gorgeous glossy page sniffing their sweet perfumed aroma which arouses my senses as I snuggle into their glossy fashion pages.

    ReplyDelete